In the Simpsons Reverend Lovejoy’s wife Helen is known for saying “What about the children?! Won’t somebody please think of the children!?” This is exactly what Ben Gerber, Scott Lazzari, and I did on October 20, 2012. We participated in the Extra Life 24 Hour Game-a-thon to raise money for children who need medical help.
The funds we raised, over $900, all go to Boston Children’s Hospital to provide medical treatment for kids regardless of their family’s ability to pay. Ben explained why he chose Boston Children’s Hospital as his beneficiary and I also shared my reasons for picking Children’s Hospital.
This podcast episode doesn’t have a Top 5 list, it doesn’t debate whether Captain Mal Reynolds is cooler than Captain Han Solo, and it doesn’t mention Star Wars. What it does is share the story of how Ben, Scott, and I helped a bunch of kids by gaming.
We gamed for 24 hours and we played an assortment of games. You can read the play by play on the Liveblog chronicling the hours of gaming.
As promised in this episode, below you will find a list of games that we played.
- Ascension (iPad)
- Ticket to Ride (iPad)
- Nightfall (iPad)
- My Alphabet card game
- Hungry Hungry Hippos
- My Singing Monsters (iPad)
- Masters of Orion 2 (PC)
- Mi Gato se Incendia (My Cat is on Fire!)
- Disney Sorry
- Carcassonne (Android)
- Upgrade Wars
- Family Business
- Monopoly Deal
- Zombie Dice
- Thunderstone Gateway (iPad)
- Caylus (iPad)
- Elder Sign (iPad)
- Farmville 2 (Facebook)
- NHL ’12 (Xbox 360)
- Where’s the Water? (iPad)
- Plague, Inc. (iPad)
- Angry Birds (iPad)
- Angry Birds Seasons (iPad)
- Angry Birds Rio (iPad)
- Angry Birds Space (iPad)
- European Assault (miniatures game by listener Tidal)
- Star Wars Empire at War (OS X)
I couldn’t have made this big of a difference without the help of each of you. Special thanks are owed to:
- Battleground Games & Hobbies including its owner Derek Lloyd
- Brian Gregory, co-host of Game Night Guys Podcast – listen to Predicaments VCR Game Episode for his message of support
- Henry Hyde, editor of Battlegames Magazine who runs his own blog Henry’s Wargaming
- Tidal, a listener, who donated his 1/32 scale plastic army men rules European Assault. He blogs at Company of Plastic WWII Toy Soldiers and War Games
- All the family and friends who donated, encouraged, supported, spread the word, or otherwise helped to make this a fun event
- A HUGE thank you to my wife for always supporting my interests and my gaming
Each month, or thereabouts, our newsletter will be e-mailed to recipients. It features information about the TCPN podcasts, behind the scenes peeks, contests, giveaways and more. Don’t miss out, sign up for the newsletter. Didn’t get our first newsletter? Don’t worry, you can read it at your leisure.